prince harry Y Meghan Markle‘s netflix documentary It hasn’t hit the small screen yet, but its two short trailers are already causing controversy.
However, it has nothing to do with what the royal couple plans to reveal during the highly anticipated docuseries. Instead, Netflix, as well as the duke and duchess of sussexare being accused of using stock footage and “misleading” photos in the two teasers.
Each trailer paints a picture of the relentless intrusion the prince and his wife faced at the hands of the press after their 2018 wedding, a factor that they say led to their decision to step back as hard-working members of the Royal Family and move to California to pursue a more private life on her own terms.
‘It’s a dirty game’: Prince Harry promises the whole truth in the second trailer of the Netflix doc
According to the BBC, at least three of the images Those used on the trailers are believed to have been taken from events that had nothing to do with harry and meghan. Additionally, there have been accusations of deceptively cropping at least one photo and of using video to create an illusion of press intrusion when, in fact, the photographer who captured the footage was invited to and met by the couple.
Neither the couple nor Netflix have publicly addressed or commented on these recent allegations.
British newspaper The Sun first reported that an image used in the first trailer showed a large group of photographers with long camera lenses. presumably filming an actual eventit was actually from the premiere of the movie Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part Two in 2011, long before Harry and Meghan met.
Harry says a line in the trailer, just before the image appears on the screen: “I had to do everything possible to protect my family,” he says, giving the impression that it was a group of photographers taking photos against a backdrop. real.
A photographer for The Sun, Doug Seeburg, is seen in the photo and told the publication that there were no royals at the event that day.
“In the Netflix trailer, it’s implied that the photographers, including me, were trying to take a picture of the royal couple, but that doesn’t make sense,” Seeburg said.
the second trailer it also presents a dubious imagean actual editor of the Evening Standard said on Twitter.
Robert Jobson tweeted an image featured in the trailer, showing a photographer taking a photo of the Duke and Duchess from above.
Jobson said the image was taken by a member of the accredited press group during Harry and Meghan’s visit to Cape Town in 2019.
“This photo used by @Netflix and Harry and Meghan to suggest press intrusion is an complete farce,” he wrote. “H&M agreed to the position. I was there.”
The Bank of Canada raises interest rates by half a percentage point to 4.25%
Anne Heche autopsy results: actor was not intoxicated at time of death
Buzzfeed also notes that a short clip of footage meant to highlight the couple’s contentious relationship with the media is actually stock video of Donald Trump’s former lawyer, Michael Cohen, boarding a vehicle for transport to prison on May 6, 2019.
Additionally, the outlet reports that another clip of footage was taken from the second trailer, intended to illustrate the paparazzi harassing the couple, when the ex model Katie Price attended a UK court to be sentenced for drunk driving in 2021. Over the footage, Harry can be heard in a voiceover saying: “I was terrified. He didn’t want history to repeat itself.”
Twitter user @Urban_Pictures also pointed out that Price’s images had been flipped horizontally.
Finally, a photo that seems to show Harry and Markle relegated to the margins of the Royal Family has been cropped to support Harry’s accusation of a “family hierarchy”, the Telegraph reports.
The cropped photo, taken during Trooping the Color in 2019, where much of the extended Royal Family appeared on the balcony of Buckingham Palace to watch the RAF flight, shows Prince William and Kate Middleton in the center of the photograph.
However, the newspaper noted, the family arrangement that day is not as it appears in the Netflix trailer. Rather, Queen Elizabeth II was the center of the original photograph and Harry and Meghan were actually standing closer to her than William and Kate.
In the wake of all these accusations, it is certain that royal observers will dissect and closely examine all the images included in the harry and meghan documentary when it begins streaming on Netflix on December 8.
Royal biographer Angela Levin told The Scottish Sun that inclusion of misleading images left her “speechless.”
“It turns your stomach. Why do that? Are they trying to pretend that crowds and crowds of people are coming to see them? What are they saying?” he told the publication, adding that it’s highly likely Harry and Meghan had a chance to review the trailers before they were released.
Trailer for ‘Harry and Meghan’
“They complain that the press manipulates things and does not tell the truth and here they are doing exactly that. It’s very silly,” Levin added. “They are risking their entire reputation. They must assume that we are all fools and that we would not dare to review the photos that they have because they have been put there.
Royal expert Ingrid Seward defended the couple, saying they may not have realized the images were from events that did not include them. She admitted that using misleading images “weakens Harry’s comment about protecting his family.”
Netflix promises that “the series explores the Clandestine days of their early courtship. and the challenges that led them to feel compelled to retire from their full-time roles at the institution.”
“With comments from friends and family, most of whom have never before spoken publicly about what they witnessed, and historians analyzing the current state of the British Commonwealth and the The relationship of the Royal Family with the pressThe series does more than illuminate a couple’s love story, it paints a picture of our world and how we treat each other.”
© 2022 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.